HISTORY
 
The name of this village clearly indicates its Roman origin; it actually derives from a “fundus Lunianus”, specifically a “plot of land belonging to Lunius”. This typology of names was very frequent in our district; it is called “prediale romano”, that is to say: names deriving from pieces of land (“praedius”) belonged to Roman soldiers. Actually, in 80 After Christ, all the territory surrounding Pisa was divided into lots that were distributed as a reward to the army veterans.
We have no finds left in the village of that Roman period. Lugnano was first mentioned in documents in 1005; in the following centuries, we find it mentioned in proceedings listing laic and religious properties linked to the city of Pisa.
The most important activities in modern times have been river navigation and pottery making.
 
 
THE MONUMENTS
 
On the main square, there is the church of “Santi Quirico e Giulitta”, first mentioned in a document dated 1137, but more than once restored in following periods. Just outside the village, there is the church of San Giorgio, mentioned in 1372, heavily restored in the 18th century and finally reconstructed in Romanesque style in 1939.